Serves : 10
- 400g (14 oz) caster sugar
- 200g (7 oz) butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 750g (1 2/3 lb) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100ml (4 fl oz) buttermilk
- 1 dessertspoon vanilla extract
- 1kg (2 1/4 lb) dried apples, cooked and mashed
- 400g (14 oz) dark brown soft sugar
- 2 dessertspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
Directions to make the Apple Cake
- Preheat oven to 230 C / Gas mark 8. Grease and flour six 20cm (8 in) tins.
- In a large bowl, mix together caster sugar, butter, eggs, soda, baking powder, flour, salt, buttermilk and vanilla. Divide batter into 6 equal parts and spoon into prepared tins.
- Bake in preheated oven for ten minutes.
- To make filling: To the cooked and mashed apples, add the brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves and allspice, and mix.
- To layer the cake: Place one layer on a serving platter and spoon apple filling on top. Cover with another layer and repeat process, ending with a cake layer. Let stand at least 12 hours before cutting.