- 2 Pink Lady or Royal Gala apples, quartered, cored
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour, sifted
- 110g (1/2 cup) demerara sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 35g (1/3 cup) walnut halves, finely chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 80ml (1/3 cup) grapeseed oil or canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs demerara sugar, extra
Directions to make the Apple & cinnamonmuffins
- Preheat oven to 180°C. line twelve 80ml (1/3-cup) capacity muffin pans with paper cases. thinly slice 2 apple quarters and reserve. Chop the remaining apple.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in the walnut and make a well in the centre.
- Combine buttermilk, oil and eggs in a bowl. add buttermilk mixture and chopped apple to the well. Stir until just combined. divide among pans. top with reserved apple.
- Combine the remaining cinnamon and extra sugar and sprinkle over the muffins. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Set aside in pan for 5 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.