Serves : 24
- For the Cake
- 400g caster sugar
- 225g margarine
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 250g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 120g chopped pecans
- For the Rum Sauce
- 250ml water
- 110g margarine
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons rum essence or rum to taste
Directions to make the Apple Pecan Cake with Rum Sauce
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour a 20x30cm or similar sized tin. Sieve together 250g flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 400g sugar and 225g margarine until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and 2 tablespoons water. Beat in the flour mixture, stirring just until incorporated. Finally, stir in chopped apples and pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the rum sauce. In a small saucepan, combine 250ml water and 110g margarine. Bring to the boil. Mix 200g sugar, 2 teaspoons flour and 1/8 teaspoon salt and stir into the saucepan. Bring sauce to the boil, stir in 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla and 2 teaspoons rum essence. Pour sauce over the cake and serve.