Yields 9″ round cake (3 layers)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups oil
- 2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground mace
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional I usually leave these out)
- 1 cup raisins (optional I usually leave these out too!)
Directions to make Carrot Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350° F and prepare 2 x 9 inch round cake pans by spraying with non-stick cooking spray and lining bottom of pan with a wax paper circle.
1. In the bowl of your electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the eggs, oil and sugar at high speed until light and fluffy.
2. sift the flour, baking soda, spices and salt together on to a piece of parchment or wax paper.
3. add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl and mix on low speed until almost incorporated.
4. add the carrots and raisins and walnuts (if using) and mix on low speed just until smooth.
5. pour 1/3 of the batter into one pan and 2/3 into the other and bake. Start checking the pans after 30 minutes and every 10 minutes after that, until a cake tester comes out clean.
6.cool in pan for 15 minutes then turn out onto rack and cool completely.
7.when completely cool, wrap well in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, then slice the thicker layer in two horizontally so that now you have three layers for filling and stacking.