Serves : 12
- For the dough
- 550g plain flour
- 350g margarine
- 40g fresh yeast
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- For the filling
- 1.5 to 2kg tart apples, peeled and grated
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For the egg wash
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons double cream
Directions to make the Cinnamon apple squares
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Butter a deep baking tray.
- Knead together all the dough ingredients to form a smooth dough. (Crumble yeast into mixture before kneading).
- Cut the dough in half and line the prepared tray with one piece.
- To make the filling: In a bowl, mix together apples, sugar and cinnamon. Pour into dough-lined baking tray. Level out.
- Roll out the remaining dough on baking parchment. Arrange over the apple mixture.
- Beat together egg yolk and cream to make the egg wash. Brush over the dough. Pierce the top several times with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Let cool before cutting into squares.