Yield: 12 servings
7 oz (200 g) semisweet chocolate (45-50 % cocoa)
4/5 cup (200 g) butter
1 cup (220 g) sugar
4 eggs, separated
Directions for the French Chocolate Cake (Flourless)
- Preheat oven to 350deg F (Gas mark 4 or 180 deg C).
- Line a 9 in (23 cm) cake tin with greaseproof or other non-stick paper and grease the tin.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it with butter over hot water.
- Beat the egg yolks with half of the sugar.
- Fold in the melted butter and chocolate mixture.
- Beat egg whites until frothy by using an electric mixer; gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Bake at 350 degrees until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 40 minutes.
- Use a knife to separate the cake from the non-stick paper. Please observe that the cake is quite sticky!
The Flourless Chocolate Cake may be served warm or cold with whipped cream. The cream may be dusted with cocoa powder before serving, and the cake may be dusted with powdered sugar. See also the recipe for our Scandinavian Flourless Chocolate Cake