serves : 48
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 cup half-and-half cream, divided
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- additional powdered sugar, as needed
- food coloring
Directions for Frosting for Sugar Cookies
- Beat together butter, vanilla, 1 tablespoon cream, and a half cup powdered sugar; stir in a few drops food coloring – The color should be somewhat darker than desired, because it will lighten up as you add more cream and sugar to the frosting.
- Add alternating portions of 1-2 tablespoons cream then a half cup powdered sugar; beating after each addition until well blended.
- Continue adding and beating in portions of cream then powdered sugar until you have incorporated all the ingredients; stir in additional cream or powdered sugar if necessary.
- You may vary the amounts of cream and/or powdered sugar to achieve desired frosting amount and consistency – Your choice of a nice and thick frosting, a very thin glaze, or anything in between is possible.
- Spread finished frosting onto cooled sugar cookies; candy sprinkles are best added as each cookie is frosted – They seem to adhere better that way.
- NOTE: Regular or evaporated milk, whipping cream, whipped cream, or even sour cream – whatever you’ve got in the fridge – may be substituted (I’ve subbed in each of these at times) for the half & half.