- 2 teaspoons olive oil $
- 1 white onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 cup rinsed and drained canned cannellini beans
- 4 large plum tomatoes (about 1 pound), sliced $
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions for Hearty Tomato Pie
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add onion. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 18 to 20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- 3. Unroll pie dough onto an ungreased baking sheet; sprinkle dough with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, leaving a 1-inch border. Spoon onion and beans over dough. Arrange tomato slices over beans; top with mozzarella rounds. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, garlic powder, onion salt, and pepper.
- 4. Gently fold edges of dough toward center, crimping dough occasionally to seal (dough will not cover tomato mixture). Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese melts (filling may leak slightly during cooking). Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into 6 wedges.