1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 pounds (5 large packages) cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
5 whole eggs
1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
Directions for the Lindy’s New York Deli Cheesecake
1. In a bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour with 1/4 cup of the sugar, 1 teaspoon of the lemon zest, and 1/4 teaspoon of the vanilla.
2. Form a well in the center and add 1 egg yolk and all of the butter. Work with a fork to make a dough. Add up to 2 tablespoons of water, if necessary, to make a pliable dough.
3. Form into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter the sides and bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
2. In the bowl of a mixer, combine the cream cheese, the reamaining 1 3/4 cups sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest, and all of the orange zest and beat well.
3. Add the 5 whole eggs (one at a time, mixing as you add each), the remaining 2 egg yolks (one at a time, mixing as you add each), and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and beat well.
4. Add the heavy cream and beat well.
Assembly and Baking Directions:
1. Roll out one-third of the chilled dough on a floured surface; the dough will be very moist and fragile. Roll it out in pieces and evenly press them, with your hands, into the bottom of the prepared pan. Don’t worry if it looks like it is going to fall apart.
2. Bake until golden, 15 minutes, and cool in the pan on a wire rack.
3. Roll out the remaining dough in pieces and evenly shape them to fit the sides of the pan, a piece at a time. Make sure that there are no holes in the crust and try to keep the edges neat.
4. Increase the oven temperature to 550 degrees F. Pour the cream cheese mixture into the crust.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 200 degrees F and continue baking or 1 hour.
6. Turn off the heat and keep the oven door open wide. Let the cake cool in the oven for 30 minutes.