- 40g dried mixed wild mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 400g can peeled plum tomatoes
- About 750g cavolo nero or kale
- Small bunch of fresh tarragon
- Small bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley
- 750g ricotta
- 50g grated vegetarian Parmesan
- 2 large free-range eggs, plus 1 free-range egg, for glazing
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 500g pack shortcrust pastry
Directions for Pizza pie recipe
- 1. Soak the mushrooms in hot water for an hour or so, then drain well. Heat the oil and butter in a wide saucepan and when hot, add the onion and garlic, with a pinch of salt. Stir once, lower the heat, cover and sweat for a good 15-20 minutes, until soft but not brown. Squish the tomatoes in a colander, until all the juice has gone and the pulp is left. Add this to the onion and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes or until the sauce looks slightly jammy. Cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, pull the cavolo nero leaves or kale from the stalks and blanch in a pan of boiling, salted water for 2 minutes, then drain thoroughly. When cool enough, wring out any excess moisture. Finely chop the cavolo nero or kale along with the soaked mushrooms and herbs. Put in a bowl and stir in the ricotta. Mix in the Parmesan, eggs and half the breadcrumbs, and season. Set aside.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C gas 4. On a lightly floured surface, thinly roll out two-thirds of the pastry and press into the base and sides of a 20cm springform cake tin, allowing a little to hang over the edges. Sprinkle the remaining breadcrumbs over the base of the pastry. Fill the pie with alternating layers of tomato sauce and the ricotta mixture. Roll out the remaining pastry into a disc and lay on top of the pie, pinching the edges together. Pierce the top in a few places and glaze with egg.
- 4. Pop a baking sheet into the oven for 10 minutes to heat up. Put the pie on the hot baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown. Rest for 10 minutes before unclipping the sides of the tin. It is good hot or cold.