- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
Directions for the Poor Mans Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a saucepan mix brown sugar, raisins, water and shortening. Bring to a boil and boil 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. When raisin mixture is cool, add to dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 or 40 minutes. Do not over bake or it will be too dry. Test after 30 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of cake should come out clean.