- 8 oz/225g all purpose/plain flour (see tip below)
- 4 oz/ 110g butter, cubed or an equal mix of butter and lard
- 1 oz/ 25g fine or caster sugar
- 1 egg
- A little milk to bind
Directions for the Rich or Sweet Pastry Recipe
- Place the flour, butter and sugar into a large clean bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, working as quickly as possible to prevent the dough becoming warm.
- Add the egg to the mixture and using a cold knife stir until the dough binds together, add milk, a teaspoon at a time, if the mixture is too dry.
- Wrap the dough in Saran wrap/Clingfilm and chill for a minimum of 15 minutes, up to 30 minutes.
The dough can also be made in a food processor by mixing the flour, butter and salt in the bowl of the processor on a pulse setting. When the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, add the water, slowly, through the funnel until the dough comes together in a ball. Wrap in Saran wrap/ Clingfilm and chill as above.
Tip: Use equal quantities of all-purpose flour and cake flour for a lighter pastry.