Serves : 24
- 70g golden raisins
- 70g raisins
- 80ml dark rum
- 110g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125g plain flour
- 125g wholemeal flour
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 375g apple sauce
Directions to make the Rum and Raisin Apple Cake
- Place all the raisins in a small bowl with rum. Let soak overnight, if possible.
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5. Grease and flour one 20x30cm or similar sized baking tin.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Beat in the eggs, then the apple sauce.
- In another bowl, stir together the flours, cornflour, bicarbonate of soda, spices, salt and cocoa. Beat into the creamed ingredients. Stir in the raisins, leftover rum and the walnuts. Pour batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake at 190 C / Gas 5 for 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Let cool on a rack