- 2 onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g lean lamb mince
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1kg potatoes
- 4 tbsp milk
- Knob of butter
Directions for Shepherd’s pie recipe
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Cook the onions in 1 tbsp oil in a casserole until soft. Turn up the heat, add the mince and cook for about 10 minutes, until browned.
- 2. Add the Worcestershire sauce and tomato purée, sprinkle with the flour and season, then stir until the flour is mixed in. Pour in the stock and bring the mixture to the boil, then cover and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 10-12 minutes, until tender. Drain, add the milk, butter, seasoning and the remaining olive oil and mash.
- 4. Take the mince out of the oven and turn the temperature up to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Tip the mince into a 1.3 litre ovenproof dish. Spoon the potato on top to cover the mince. Put the dish on a baking tray and cook for 20 minutes, until the top is golden.