1 jelly roll cake
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
Directions for the Strawberry Cream Roll
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a jelly roll pan. Line it with buttered foil or buttered parchment paper.
- Beat the eggs until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add 1 cup white sugar, beating constantly. Stir in water and vanilla extract. Fold in flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour batter into tin.
- Bake for 15 minutes. It should be springy to the touch, and beginning to shrink away from the sides of the pan.
- Lay out a tea towel, and sprinkle it with confectioners’ sugar. Turn the jelly roll out on the towel. Take off the paper or foil. Cut away crusty edges. Roll the cake up in the towel, and leave it to cool.
- Whip the cream. Add unflavored gelatin and 1 tablespoon sugar. Fold in strawberries. Unroll the cake. Spread with the strawberry cream, and roll up again. Chill. Cover the top with more whipped cream when serving.