- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 125g butter, chilled, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons chilled water
- 250g strawberries, hulled, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/3 cup custard powder
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
Directions for the Strawberry custard tart
- Step 1Place flour, sugar and butter in a processor. Process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and 1 tablespoon chilled water. Process until dough just comes together, adding more chilled water if necessary. Turn pastry out on to a lightly floured surface. Knead until just smooth. Shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Step 2Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 2cm-deep, 12.5cm x 35cm (base) loose-based tart pan. Roll out pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Line pan with pastry. Trim excess. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Step 3Place pan on a baking tray. Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are light golden. Remove weights or rice and paper. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until base is light golden. Set aside to cool.
- Step 4Meanwhile, make custard filling: Whisk egg, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together in a bowl. Stir in custard powder. Gradually add milk and cream, stirring constantly. Transfer to a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, whisking, for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Boil for 1 minute. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Set aside to cool. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- Step 5Spread custard over base of pastry case. Arrange strawberry slices over custard. Combine jam and boiling water in a bowl. Brush strawberries with jam mixture. Serve.