- 1 bunch rhubarb, trimmed, roughly chopped (see note)
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
- 250g strawberries, hulled, halved
- thick vanilla custard or ice-cream, to serve
- (Sweet shortcrust pastry)
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar mixture
- 125g unsalted butter, chilled, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon chilled water
- 2/3 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 75g butter, chilled, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted hazelnuts, chopped
Directions for the Strawberry and rhubarb pie
- Step 1Make pastry: 1 Process flour, sugar and butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and chilled water. Process until pastry just comes together, adding more water if necessary. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Shape into a 2cm-thick disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll out.
- Step 2Roll out between 2 sheets baking paper until 4mm thick. Line base and side of a greased 6cm-deep, 20cm (base) springform pan with pastry. Trim excess pastry (side should be about 3cm to 4cm high). Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Step 3Meanwhile, place rhubarb, apple and sugar in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes or until rhubarb softens.
- Step 4Place cornflour and 1 tablespoon cold water in a bowl. Blend until smooth. Add cornflour mixture and strawberries to pan. Stir to combine. Return to the boil. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Cool.
- Step 5Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Place pan on a baking tray. Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove paper and weights or rice. Bake for 7 minutes or until base is golden. Cool slightly.
- Step 6Meanwhile, make crumble: Place flour, sugar and butter in a bowl. Using fingers, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in hazelnuts. Spoon strawberry mixture into pastry case. Top with crumble.
- Step 7Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Cool for 20 minutes. Serve with custard or ice-cream.