Serves : 2 pies
- 1.2 litres water
- 85g wheat berries
- 6 eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 225g crystallised fruit, roughly chopped
- 675g ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 750g shortcrust pastry
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar for dusting
Directions for Creamy Ricotta and Wheat Tarts
- Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan. Pour in wheat berries and allow to boil 40 minutes. As wheat berries are cooking, beat eggs in a large bowl while gradually adding 200g sugar to eggs. Mix in fruit, ricotta, vanilla extract, cinnamon, lemon zest and orange zest
- When wheat berries are ready, drain in a colander and rinse with warm water. Place 150g of cooked wheat berries in a small bowl and mix in margarine and salt. Stir until margarine is melted, then stir wheat mixture into ricotta mixture along with the rest of the cooked wheat berries.
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5.
- Line two 23cm quiche dishes with pastry. Cut remaining pastry into strips for tops of tarts. Spoon half of filling into each dish. Cover with pastry strips to form lattice tops. Crimp edges.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, until pastry is golden brown. Sprinkle each tart with 1 tablespoon sugar and allow to cool at room temperature. Chill overnight before serving. Store any leftovers in refrigerator.