Serves : 10
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 125g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 organic lemon, zest grated and juiced
- 150g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3-4 apples (depending on size)
- caster sugar for sprinkling
- flour for dusting
Directions to make the The Ultimate Apple Cake
- Grease a round springform cake tin with butter and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, cover and chill.
- Cream egg yolk and sugar together, then stir in butter, lemon juice and lemon zest. Beat until batter is light and fluffy
- In a separate bowl, sieve in flour, salt and baking powder. Mix to combine.
- Fold egg whites and flour mixture into yolk batter. Pour batter into tin and smooth top out.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Peel apples and cut in half horizontally. Remove core. Slice apples carefully, but do not cut all the way through – you need to leave an end piece to hold all the slices together.
- Gently fan apple halves and arrange onto the batter. Sprinkle with sugar and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.