yields one 9″ round cake (3 layers)
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 ½ sticks of butter
- 1 cup cocoa powder (dutch processed)
- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups good quality chocolate chips (I use Guittard Milk Choc chips)
Directions to make Triple chocolate cake
Preheat oven to 325° F and prepare 2 x 9 inch round cake pans by buttering and flouring the sides (with cocoa powder) and lining bottom of pan with a wax paper circle.
1.sift the flour and salt together on to a piece of parchment or wax paper.
2.heat the chopped chocolate and butter, in a microwave safe dish, on high for 1 minute intervals until melted. Stir after each minute.
3.transfer to your mixer bowl and, using the paddle attachment, mix in the cocoa powder and sugar on low speed until well blended.
4.add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
5.add the sour cream and vanilla and mix well.
6.add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just blended.
7.fold in the chocolate chips by hand.
8. pour 1/3 of the batter into one pan and 2/3 into the other and bake. Start checking the pans after 30 minutes and every 10 minutes after that, until a cake tester comes out clean.
9.cool in pan for 15 minutes then turn out onto rack and cool completely.
10.when completely cool, wrap well in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, then slice the thicker layer in two horizontally so that now you have three layers for filling and stacking.