yield : 4
- 220g/8oz caster sugar
- 220g/8oz butter, plus extra for greasing
- 4 free-range eggs, beaten
- 220g/8oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp strawberry or raspberry jam
- 600ml/1 pint 2fl oz double cream, whipped
- icing sugar, to dust
Directions for the Victoria sponge with fresh cream and jam
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Grease and line two 23cm/9in cake tins.
- Beat the sugar and butter together in a bowl until pale and creamy, then gradually add the eggs, alternating with a tablespoon of flour. Gently fold in the rest of the flour and vanilla extract, then divide equally between the two cake tins.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through and lightly golden. Remove from the oven and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- When cool, spread one cake with jam and whipped double cream, then place the other cake on top. Dust with icing sugar and serve in slices.