Serves : 12
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100g ground almonds
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 75g cornflour
- 1 teaspoon rum
- 1kg apples, peeled and cored
- 3 tablespoons currants
- 1 (100g) bag almonds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions to make the Whole Apple Cake
- Beat butter until fluffy, then add the vanilla sugar. Taking turns, mix in sugar, eggs, almonds, breadcrumbs and a mixture of cornflour, baking powder and rum.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased round springform cake tin.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Place whole apples into the mixture and sprinkle with currants and almonds.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 60 minutes. After baking, sprinkle with sugar. Release from the tin and let cool.