Yield: 10 servings
10 oz (280 g) bittersweet chocolate (60% cocoa)
4/5 cup (180 g) butter
1+¼ cup (275 g) sugar
1+¼ cup (140 g) all-purpose flour
Directions for the Chocolate Lava Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F (Gas mark 4 or 180 deg C).
- Grease 10 large muffin tins or cups; paper muffin bake cups can also be used.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it with butter over hot water.
- Beat the eggs with sugar and mix with flour.
- Slowly fold in the melted butter and chocolate.
- Bake at 350 degrees for only 8-12 minutes; the outer part should be cooked and the inner part liquid.
The Chocolate Lava Cakes may be served hot on its own or with custard, whipped cream, ice cream and / or berries. The Lava Cakes may be dusted with icing sugar. If your Lava Cakes stick to the tin/cup after baking, you should try lining the tins/cups with aluminum foil and grease the lined tins/cups well before use. You can also use paper muffin bake cups.
- You may use pudding/souffle cups instead of muffin cups and serve the Lava Cakes in the cups in order to avoid the difficulty of removing the Lava Cakes from the muffin cups.
- You may add two tablespoons of orange liqueur and finely grated rind of one orange. This gives a delicious orange-chocolate flavor.
- You may try adding some ground cinnamon and nutmeg or cloves to the chocolate and butter mixture.
- You may add some mint flavoring.
- You may add a little coffee essence to mixture.
- Place moulds in freezer then brush with melted butter to give a thin even coating. Use cocoa powder to “flour” the molds so when you turn out the Lava Cakes there is no white flour marks.
- Serving suggestion: serve with an orange and star anise ice cream.