- 750g lamb neck fillet, cubed
- 2 baking potatoes, cubed
- 1 (about 500g) swede, diced
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 750ml lamb stock, hot
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 500g fresh puff pastry
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions for the Cornish pie recipe
1. Put the lamb, vegetables, stock, thyme and Worcestershire sauce in a large pan. Bring to the boil on the hob, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
2. Remove the lid and simmer for a further hour, until reduced a bit and the potatoes have partially dissolved, thickening the sauce into a gravy.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Tip the filling into a 2-litre pie dish. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface until 3-4cm bigger than the pie dish, then lay on top of the filling. Crimp the edges inside the dish, like the crust of a Cornish pasty. 4. Brush the top of the pie with egg, snip a few air holes in the centre and bake for 30 minutes, until golden.