Don’t let what seems like a long list of ingredients for this Hummingbird Cake recipe scare you. They’re all common pantry staples that you probably on hand anyway!Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Yield: one 9″ round cake (3 layers).
- 3 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 x 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 cups chopped bananas, about 2 large bananas
Directions to make Yellow cake
1.Combine flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and spices in a large bowl.
2.Add eggs, oil and applesauce and stir with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are combined.
3.Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup of the pecans, and bananas.
4.Divide batter evenly into prepared cake pans.
5.Bake, testing at 25 minutes and every 10 minutes after that, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6.Cool in the cake pans, set on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then turn out on to the rack to col completely.
7.To finish, fill and frost with decadent cream cheese frosting.
8.Cut yourself a slice and enjoy!
The only problem you may have with this Hummingbird Cake recipe is the fact that your friends will constantly be pleading with you to make another! Not such a bad problem to have I guess!