Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
- 1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
- 220g marzipan*
- 220g unsalted butter, softened
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Thick cream or mascarpone, to serve
Strawberries in red wine
- 500g strawberries, hulled, halved
- 125g caster sugar
- 350ml Chianti Classico or other red wine
- Strip of lemon peel
Directions for the Quick almond cake with strawberries in red wine
- Step 1To make the strawberries in red wine, place them in a bowl and sprinkle with the sugar, then pour the wine over the top. Refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Step 2When ready, drain the strawberries, place the wine mixture in a small pan with the lemon peel and 1/4 cup (60ml) cold water, and cook over high heat until reduced and syrupy. Allow to cool completely, then pour over strawberries. Refrigerate until needed.
- Step 3To make the almond cake, preheat the oven to 160°C and grease and line the base of a 28cm springform cake pan.
- Step 4Combine the sugar and marzipan in a food processor, then add the butter and process until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, pulsing after each addition. Add the self-raising and plain flour and baking powder, scrape down sides of bowl, and pulse to combine well. Spread into the prepared pan and cover with foil.
- Step 5Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake 20 minutes further or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean – watch cake as it can brown quickly; if it does, cover loosely with foil.
- Step 6Remove from the oven, allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut the cake into slices and dust with icing sugar. Serve with the strawberries in syrup and some thick cream or mascarpone.