Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
- 375 g (13.2oz) Puff pastry
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 200 g (7.1oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 Bramley apples, cored and sliced thinly
- 700 g (24.7oz) Good-quality cider cooked ham, sliced thin
For the béchamel sauce
- 25 g (0.9oz) Butter
- 25 g (0.9oz) Flour
- 150 ml (5.3fl oz) Milk
- 50 ml (1.8fl oz) Double cream
- 1 Good pinch each of salt, pepper and nutmeg
Directions for Ham and apple pie recipe
- First, make the béchamel by melting the butter and stirring in the flour then slowly whisk in the milk and cream and bring to the boil. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set aside to cool.
- Roll out the pastry in two rough circles, about 24cm and 26cm wide. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Put the first pastry circle on a baking tray, brush the edges with beaten egg and put a spoonful of béchamel in the centre. Spread this to within 3-4cm of the edges. Sprinkle over a little cheese, followed by some ham and then some apple. Repeat these layers until all the ingredients have been used up. Cover with the other sheet of pastry and press down firmly around the edges to seal. Brush with beaten egg and make a little hole in the top.
- Bake at 190°C for 40 minutes, then turn the oven down to 150°C and cook for another 10 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.