Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
- 1 x 7g sachet of dried yeast
- 150 ml (5.3fl oz)lukewarm water
- 250 g (8.8oz) `00′ flour or strong plain (all-purpose bread) flour, plus extra to dust
- 25 g (0.9oz) softened butter, cut into pieces
For the filling
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to brush and drizzle
- 500 g (17.6oz) potatoes
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 300 g (10.6oz)courgettes (zucchini), thinly sliced
- 4 artichokes preserved in oil, sliced (reserve 2 tbsp of the oil)
- 600 g (21.2oz) spinach
- 2 eggs
- 50 g (1.8oz) Parmesan, grated
Directions for Italian vegetable pie recipe
- Dissolve the yeast in the water. Combine the flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, gradually pour in the yeasted water and mix well to form a soft but not sticky dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes, then form into a ball, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6. Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Peel the potatoes and slice into rounds about 5mm/1/4 inch thick. Place on the baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Roast for about 15 minutes, until cooked through but firm.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan, add the onion, then sweat over a medium heat until it has softened. Add the courgettes and sauté on a medium heat for 10 minutes until softened. Add the artichokes with their oil and cook for 5 minutes. Add the spinach and salt and pepper to taste, cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Increase the oven temperature to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7. Beat the eggs in a bowl, then stir in the Parmesan and some salt and pepper. Add the cooled vegetables and gently combine.
- Line a round 23cm/9 inch diameter pie dish with greaseproof paper. Divide the dough in half. Roll out one half on a lightly floured surface and line the bottom and sides of the pie dish. Arrange the cooked potatoes on the bottom, followed by the vegetable filling.
- Roll out the other piece of dough and cover the pie, sealing well so that the filling does not escape. Prick all over with a fork and brush with extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until golden. Can be eaten hot or cold.BACK TO HEARTY PIES