- 1 recipe Pot-Pie Pastry (see recipe below)
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken, beef, or pork roast
- 1/2 10 – ounce package frozen peas
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powdery
Directions for Hearty Chicken Pot Pies
- Prepare Pot-Pie Pastry. Divide into 12 balls. Roll out 6 balls of pastry dough into 7-inch circles and roll out 6 balls into 5-inch circles. Ease the larger circles into 6 individual 4-1/4×1-inch pie pans or baking dishes.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the broth, carrot, potato, celery, and onion. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken or meat and frozen peas. Cook the mixture over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir together the evaporated milk, flour, parsley, thyme, pepper, and garlic powder. Add the mixture to the saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils.
- Spoon filling into prepared crusts. Cover with remaining pastry rounds. Press edges of pastry together. Trim to edge of pan. Press with the tines of a fork. Cut slits in top crust.
- Bake in a 425 degree F oven for about 25 minutes or until pot pies are brown. Makes 6 servings.
- Instead of individual servings, you can prepare this as one double-crust pie. Prepare 1/2 of the pastry recipe and divide into 2 balls. Roll out each ball into a 12-inch circle. Transfer one pastry circle to a 9-inch pie plate. Add filling. Brush edges of pastry with water. Place second pastry circle atop filling. Continue as directed. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.