- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and
- finely chopped
- Knob of fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 500g lean minced beef
- 2 tbsp Madras curry paste
- 150ml chicken stock, hot
- 200g frozen peas
- Juice of 1 lime
For the mash
- 1kg sweet potatoes, cubed
- 4 tbsp soured cream
- 4 tbsp snipped fresh chives
Directions for the Keema pie recipe
- 1. Make the mash. Cook the sweet potatoes in a pan of boiling, lightly salted water for 15 minutes, until tender. Drain well, mash with the soured cream, seasoning and chives.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, until golden. Add the cumin seeds, cook for 1 minute, then stir in the tomatoes, mince and curry paste and cook for 5 minutes, until the tomatoes are pulpy. Add the stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Stir the peas and lime juice into the keema mix and season. Spoon into an ovenproof dish and top with the mash, roughing it up slightly.
- 4. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, until the top is lightly browned. Serve with mango chutney.