buttercream – buttercream filling
- 1 pound bag of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 sticks butter, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 to 1 cup Orange curd (to taste)
to make Orange Curd:
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth.
- Stir in orange juice, zest and butter.
- Cook for one minute intervals on high, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Cover the curd with cling film placed directly on the surface of the curd and refrigerate until set.
Directions for orange dream buttercream
- using the whisk attachment on your electric mixer, mix the powdered sugar, salt, vanilla and milk at low speed until smooth.
- add butter, one slice at a time, until incorporated
- add shortening and whip at highest speed 10-12 minutes, until volume increases by at least 50%.