Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
yield : 10
- 3 large free-range eggs at room temperature
- 225g/8oz caster sugar,
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour + 2 tsp baking powder sifted together
- 125g/4oz softened butter
- 100g/3 oz margarine
- 225 g/ 8oz fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and thickly sliced
- 200ml/7 fl oz whipping cream, whipped to firm peaks
Directions for the Strawberry and Cream Sponge Cake
- Lightly grease 2 20cm/8″ sandwich tins. Line the bottom only with lightly greased baking parchment.
- Using a stand mixer, or electric hand mixer, mix together the eggs, sugar, flour and baking powder and the softened butter and margarine until completely combined. The mixture should be a soft consistency. If you don’t have an electric mixer you can use a wooden spoon.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the two cake tins – I prefer to weigh them to make sure they are the same but this is not essential. Lightly smooth the surface of the cake and pop them onto the middle shelf of the preheated oven. Cook for 25 minutes or until the cakes are well risen and golden brown on the surface. If the cakes are browning too quickly lower the temperature just slightly but do not be tempted to open the door.
- Once they are risen and brown you can open the door to check, gently press the centre of the cake it should spring back easily. Remove the cakes from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes the cakes should be shrinking away from the sides of the cake tins. Carefully remove the cakes from the tins and leave to cool completely on the cooling rack.
- Once cooled, place one cake cooked side down onto a plate. Cover with a thick layer of strawberries followed by an even thicker layer of whipped cream. Top with the second cake. Dredge** with the icing sugar, extra strawberries if you want to and serve with a nice cup of tea.