- You will need 2 shallow, round 20cm (base measurement) sandwich pans for this recipe.
- Melted butter, to grease
- Self-raising flour, to dust
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour, extra
- 4 eggs, separated
- 140g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
- 5g butter, melted
- 60ml (1/4 cup) boiling water
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
- 85g (1/3 cup) lemon butter (MasterFoods brand)
- 1 x 250g punnet strawberries, hulled, washed, halved
- 125g (3/4 cup) icing sugar mixture
- 1 1/2 tbs passionfruit pulp
- 5g butter, extra, softened
Directions for the Strawberry & lemon sponge
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush 2 shallow, round 20cm (base measurement) sandwich pans with melted butter to lightly grease. Dust with flour and shake off any excess.
- Step 2Sift flour 3 times. Use an electric beater to beat egg whites in a bowl until firm peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition, until sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and glossy. Add egg yolks and beat until just combined.
- Step 3Sift flour over egg mixture and use a metal spoon to fold until just combined. Pour melted butter and boiling water down the side of the bowl. Fold until just combined. Spoon mixture evenly among pans. Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes or until surface is dry and cake springs back when lightly tapped. Remove from oven. Set aside for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 4Use an electric beater to beat the cream in a bowl until stiff peaks form. Place lemon butter in a separate bowl. Add one-third of the cream and fold until just combined. Fold in remaining cream.
- Step 5Place 1 sponge, top-side down, on a plate. Spread sponge with cream. Top with strawberries and remaining sponge.
- Step 6Combine icing sugar, passionfruit and extra butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until icing is runny. Spread sponge with icing. Set aside for 10 minutes to set.