Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
- Chilled pie dough for one 9-inch pie
- 5 cups (24 ounces or 680 grams) quartered and hulled strawberries
- 1/4 (30 grams) cup cornstarch
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup (134 to 150 grams) sugar, adjusted according to the sweetness of strawberries
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy or whipping cream
- Whipped cream, optional
Directions for the Strawberry Pie Recipe 2
Bake Pie Crust
- Roll out pie dough to fit pie dish. Gently press dough down into dish so that it lines the bottom and sides of the dish. (Be careful not to pull or stretch the dough). Then, use a knife or pair of kitchen scissors to trim dough to within 1/2-inch of the edge of the dish.
- Fold edges of dough underneath itself, creating a thicker, 1/4-inch border that rests on the lip of the dish. Then, crimp edges.
Make Pie Filling
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F (220 C). Place a baking sheet on a middle oven rack.
- Pierce bottom of the crust with a fork (this prevent air pockets or bubbles from forming while baking). Line the crust with two sheets of aluminum foil. (Be sure to push foil against the edges of the crust). Then, fill foil with dried rice, dried beans or pie weights. Refrigerate 30 minutes or freeze for 10 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
- Place pie crust onto preheated baking sheet and reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees F (200 C). Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- Make egg wash by whisking egg yolk and cream in a small bowl. Then, remove rice, beans or pie weights and foil from pie crust. Brush bottom and sides of crust with egg wash. Bake until egg wash is dry and shiny, 3 to 5 minutes. Cool crust completely before filling.
- Add 2 cups of strawberries to a small saucepan. Mash strawberries until chunky.
- Add sugar, corn starch, vanilla extract, almond extract, lemon juice and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves and glaze has thickened; 3 to 5 minutes. Cool completely.
- Combine remaining 3 cups of strawberries with cooled strawberry glaze. Stir until strawberries are well coated. Spoon strawberry filling into cooled pie crust.
- Refrigerate pie at least 2 hours before cutting to allow filling to set. Top with whipped cream.