Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, chilled, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup pure cream
- 1/2 x 300ml tub double cream
- 250g strawberries, hulled, sliced
- Icing sugar mixture, for dusting
Directions for the Strawberry shortcake 2
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Grease and line base of a 6cm-deep, 20cm (base) round cake pan with baking paper.
- Step 2Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add sugar. Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Whisk egg and pure cream in a jug. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Mix with a flat-bladed knife until a soft dough forms.
- Step 3Place dough in prepared pan. Using fingertips, press evenly over base of pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Step 4Using a serrated knife, cut shortcake in half crossways. Spread double cream over cut-side of base. Top with strawberries. Sandwich with shortcake top. Dust with icing sugar. Serve.