- 2 cups sliced strawberries, hulled
- 4 tbs (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour, sifted
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 100g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 200ml thickened cream, lightly whipped
- Icing sugar, to dust
Directions for the Strawberry shortcake
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Line base and grease sides of a 20cm springform pan.
- Step 2Place strawberries in a bowl with half the sugar, stir to combine and set aside.
- Step 3Beat egg with milk and set aside. Place flour, remaining sugar, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl and rub in butter with fingertips. Add egg and milk and mix with a fork until combined.
- Step 4Spread dough into pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Remove and cool.
- Step 5To serve, split cake and lift off top half. Spread bottom half with jam, cover with cream and top with strawberries. Replace lid and dust with icing sugar.