Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Serves : 6
- 10 close cup mushrooms
- 2 pounds of steak, trimmed of excess fat
- ready rolled puff pastry
- 4 beef stock cubes ( I use oxo )
- 2 tablesoons of chopped onion
- enough water to cover the meat twice over
- 1 egg
- For gravy (optional )
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour
- 5 tablespoons of water
Directions for Steak and mushroom pie
- Chop mushrooms and steak into similar sized chunks, depending on how chunky you want your pie filling to be.
- In a large saucepan add a small amount of oil and brown the meat, mushrooms and onions.
- When all the ingredients in the saucepan are browned add the 4 stock cubes and mix together, then add the water and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil then simmer with the lid on for aproximately 1 hour
- When the filling is cooked, roll out your pastry to fit the bottom of your greased pie dish (not too thick or it won’t cook) and prick a few holes in the bottom with a fork so the air can escape, Then add your filling using a slotted spoon, spoon over as much pf the gravy as you want, then roll out some more pastry to cover the top of the pie.
- Beat together the egg with some water and use the eggwash to brush over the pie, this gives the pie a shiny and golden finish when it is cooked.
- Place into an oven preheated to 220 degrees C for 30 minutes or untill the top is a deep golden brown and crusty.
- For the gravy : Mix togther the cornflour and the cold water till it makes a thin paste.
- Using the remaining cooking liquid from the filling and on a medium heat add the cornflour mixure a bit at a time wilst stirring. Keep adding untill you get your desired thickness.