Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Serves : 6
- For filling
- 750g (1 ½ lb) top sirloin steak, cut into small cubes
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 75g (2 1/2 oz) flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- 250g (½ lb) crimini button mushrooms
- 125g (¼ lb) Portobello mushrooms, stem trimmed, halved and sliced
- 125g (¼ lb) oyster mushrooms, stems trimmed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250ml beef stock
- 50ml or 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 (500g) packet of shortcrust pastry or pastry recipe for 23cm/9 in pie
- For egg wash
- 1 large egg mixed with 2 tablespoons milk
Directions for Steak and Three Mushroom Pie 2
- Season the steak with salt & pepper. Coat in flour, shacking off excess. Reserve left over flour.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Cook beef until nicely browned, then set aside.
- Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring until mushrooms are tender and liquid from them has evaporated.
- Stir in garlic and reserved flour. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring well.
- Slowly add the stock constantly mixing to ensure you don’t get lumps of cooked flour.
- Add wine, thyme and steak and simmer for 5 mins. Season with salt and pepper; remove from heat, cool to room temperature and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C /Gas mark 7.
- Roll out pastry and place one layer in the bottom of a 23cm pie dish.
- Fill with beef and mushroom mixture before topping with second layer of pastry.
- Brush edges with egg wash and crimp to seal. Brush the top of the pie with egg wash. Cut a small hole in centre of pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 20 mins. Reduce the heat to 180 C /gas mark 4; cook for a further 25 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool for 10 mins before serving.
This pie freezes well – simply assemble the pie and freeze before baking. Once you’re ready to bake, simply throw it in the oven straight from the freezer.