- 175g whole blanched almonds
- 5 egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 110g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 70g plain flour, sifted
- 300ml thickened cream, whipped
- 150g pure icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g Toblerone chocolate
- 250g punnet strawberries
Directions for the Strawberry vacherin
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 120°C. Lightly roast the almonds in the oven for about 20 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and process until a fine powder.
- Step 2Cut three 20cm circles from non-stick baking paper. Grease one side of circles and place on baking trays greased-side up.
- Step 3Beat together the egg whites and half the caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until stiff. Add the ground almond and remaining sugar, and stir to combine. Gently fold in butter and flour. Spread onto baking paper circles to 1cm thick and bake for 50 minutes, then peel off paper and set aside to cool.
- Step 4Beat together the cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl until thick. Set aside.
- Step 5Melt Toblerone in a bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Step 6Place one meringue round on a plate, spread with half the Toblerone and top with a third of the cream mixture. Repeat, then top with third meringue and pile the remaining cream mixture on top. Cut the strawberries lengthways into quarters and arrange on top. Dust with the icing sugar.