Serves : 12
- 300g plain flour
- 325g dark brown soft sugar
- 175g butter, softened
- 125g chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 175ml soured cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 recipe Brown Sugar Sauce
Directions to make the Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Sauce
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5. Butter a 23cm (9 in) round cake tin or springform tin.
- Using a fork, work flour with brown sugar and butter in a large bowl until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Divide mixture in half. Evenly press half into tin bottom to form a base.
- Stir bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and salt into remaining crumb mixture until blended, then make a well in the centre. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg with soured cream and vanilla until smooth. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Fold in apples.
- Evenly spread batter over crumb mixture. Bake until a cake tester inserted into centre comes out fairly clean, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. If top gets too brown before cake is baked, lightly lay a piece of foil over top for last 10 to 20 minutes of baking. Cool in tin on a rack. Serve with Brown Sugar Sauce. Cake keeps well at room temperature for a day. Covered, it freezes well and is easily cut while still frozen.