Serves : 8
1 pie shell, frozen
3 large apples (the softer the better, I like the red Gala Apples)
4 cups blackberries
2 ounces coconut sugar crystals (regular granulated sugar works too)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
4 tablespoons butter
Directions to make the Blackberry Apple Crumb Pie
- Pre-heat oven to 375 and bake pie shell for 10 minutes (or until lightly brown).
- Mix apples, sugar and water (enough water to cover the apples!) into a pot and simmer until apples are soft & you can fork though it like butter, 6-7minutes [if you like a crunchier apple only simmer for 2-3 minutes] Set aside and let cool a bit.
- Now, in a separate bowl mix melted butter, brown sugar and flour with your hands! Mix until it is crumb-like.
- Ok, now it’s time to assemble the pie! First layer apples down, then blackberries, then apples, then blackberries! Sprinkle the lemon juice over the top. Lastly, with your hand, sprinkle the crumb topping over the top –try to get it nice and thick and try to cover as much as possible.
- Bake for 45minutes and let cool for 15-20 minutes
- Refrigerate after it cools and heat individual slices in microwave for 15 seconds to enjoy later. Cool wip on top is yummy too!