Skip to content
Makes : 1 cake
- For the Cake
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 125g ground nuts
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 200g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- For the Icing
- 200g icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- lemon juice, as needed
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
Directions to make the Apple and Nut Cake
- Mix apples with rum and vanilla sugar; set aside for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a round springform cake tin.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Gradually beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in nuts, cocoa and cinnamon. Mix flour with baking powder and fold into the mixture one tablespoon at a time. Lastly, fold in apples.
- Pour batter in prepared tin and bake in preheated oven for about 60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing: Mix sugar with rum, enough lemon juice and 1-2 tablespoons lukewarm water to make a thin glaze. Brush onto cooled cake and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
BACK TO APPLE RECIPES