Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
- 3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 680g btl morello cherries, drained
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs kirsch (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Melted butter, to grease
- 10 sheets filo pastry
- 60g butter, melted
- 100g pkt almond meal
- Pure icing sugar, to dust
- Whipped cream, to serve
Directions to make the Apple & cherry strudel
- Combine the apple, cherries, sugar, lemon juice, kirsch and cinnamon in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Set aside for 2 hours to macerate. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Lightly brush a baking tray with butter. Place the filo on a clean work surface. Cover with a dry tea towel, then a damp tea towel (this prevents it drying out). Brush 1 filo sheet with melted butter. Top with another filo sheet. Brush with melted butter. Repeat with melted butter and remaining filo. Sprinkle with the almond meal. Place the filling along 1 long side, leaving a 6cm-wide border at each end. Fold in the ends and roll up firmly to enclose. Place, seam-side-down, on the prepared tray. Brush with remaining butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Dust with icing sugar. Serve with whipped cream.