Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
serves : 10-12
- 1 package cake mix of your choice (regular size)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 12 cups confectioners’ sugar (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- Blue, yellow and green gel, paste or liquid food coloring
Directions for Cake with Buttercream Decorating Frosting Recipe
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions for two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla, salt and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency.
- Place 1/4 cup frosting each in three small bowls; tint one blue, one yellow and one green. Set aside 2-1/4 cups of remaining frosting for basket weave decoration and shell border. Spread remaining frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- To decorate, cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert medium basket weave tip. Fill the bag with reserved white frosting. Decorate sides of cake using basket weave pattern (see diagrams at right). Change to medium star tip to pipe shell border along bottom and top edges of cake.
- For writing, use medium round tip and blue frosting to pipe desired greeting off-center on top of cake. Use medium round tip and green frosting to pipe vines around writing. Switch to medium leaf tip to pipe green leaves along vines. Use small flower tip to pipe yellow and blue flowers along vines. Leftover frosting can be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 10-12 servings.