Serves : 20
- For the Cake
- 50g butter or margarine, softened
- 145g dark brown soft sugar
- 1 egg
- 250g apple sauce
- 125g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- For the Icing
- 180g icing sugar
- 50g margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions to make the Iced Apple Bars
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a 20x30cm or similar sized baking tin.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, dark brown soft sugar and egg until smooth. Stir in apple sauce. Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and pumpkin pie spice; stir into the apple sauce mixture until well blended. Spread evenly into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven or until edges are golden. Cool in the tin over a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix together the icing sugar and margarine. Stir in vanilla and milk until smooth. Spread over cooled bars before cutting into squares.