Skip to content
Serves : 6
- 125g unsalted butter
- 90g sugar
- 125g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- For the Filling
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 1 tablespoon dark brown soft sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
Directions to make the Apple Spice Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and line one 18cm round cake tin.
- In a saucepan, place the apples, 1 tablespoon water and cloves. Cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sultanas, sugar and spices. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium size pan. Add sugar and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in flour, then mix in the egg.
- With wet fingers, spread 1/2 of the batter across the bottom of the tin. Scatter with apples and sultana mixture.
- Pour over the lemon juice, then drop the remaining batter in spoonfuls on top. (There won’t be a lot of batter).
- Cook for 30 minutes or until set. A skewer inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean.
BACK TO APPLE RECIPES