Serves : 6
- 1 (500g) packet puff pastry
- 5 medium sized sour apples
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 140g sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 80g raisins
- 1 egg beaten with 3 tablespoons milk
- Icing sugar for dusting
Directions to make the Quick Apple Strudel
- Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas 7. Butter a baking tray, or line with baking parchment.
- For the filling, peel the apples and cut into quarters, then cut into thin slices. In a large bowl, drizzle with the lemon juice to prevent discolouring.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon and flour in a small bowl. Add the flour mixture to the apples with the vanilla. Stir everything well. Now add the raisins.
- Roll out the puff pastry. Place the filling down the centre. If there is too much fulling, don’t use it all.
- Fold the top flap of pastry over the filling and brush with the egg-milk mixture. Fold the lower flap of pastry over it and press firmly. Seal the ends equally well with the egg-milk mixture.
- Turn the strudel over so that the nice side is facing up. Lay the strudel on the buttered baking tray and brush it with the remaining egg-milk mixture. Pierce the top a few times with a knife so the steam can escape (diagonal slits look nice).
- Bake the strudel in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 190 C / Gas 5 and bake for another 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting. Dust with icing sugar. A large dollop of cream, custard or vanilla ice cream goes really well with it.
BACK TO APPLE RECIPES
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!